Finland has the best public governance in the world and Finnish education is no exception. (See the Legatum Institute’ latest global prosperity index)
Finnish schools are not among the best in the World by chance. They are also led and managed exceptionally well. It is the principals and headmasters who lay the foundation for equality and trust in Finnish schools. It is they who make sure that teachers and students can perform at their best and achieve outstanding results.
Our one-week Principal Study Tour program gives visitors an overview of the Finnish education system and role of pedagogical leadership. Themed Study Tour introduces the founding principles in Finnish Education management and leadership and how it is implemented in action. The program also offers an up-close and personal view of daily life of principals in the Finnish schools.
Where: Tampere, Finland.
Daily program on Study Tour at 9am- 3pm
5th – 9th November 2018
On request for groups, contact us!
Monday: Introduction to the Finnish Education System
- Finnish Education system
- Introduction to the principles behind the education system
- Paradoxes of Finnish Education: Less is More, No dead ends etc.
- Role and tasks of principal in Finnish schools
- School visit: pre-school – 6th grade and meeting with principal
Tuesday: Leading the development work at schools
- School as a learning community
- Pedagogical leadership and learner centered learning approach
- Shared leadership in theory and in practice
- Curriculum and Assessment in the Finnish Basic Education
- Self-assessment and quality assurance of schools
- School visit: 1st -9th grade and meeting with the principal
Wednesday: Good governance and administration
- Current topics in Finnish school management: citizen participation, digitalisation, productivity, open governance and management and how these topics are reflected in the school’s culture
- Principal´s digital management tools
- School administration and finance
- School visit: general upper secondary school and meeting with principal
Thursday: Co-operation and leading educational support
- Home – school co-operation
- Co-operation with other stakeholders
- Importance of networking
- Inclusive education, guidance, counselling and student welfare services
- What does integration and inclusion mean in Finnish schools and how it is implemented?
- Categories of support and counselling practices
- School visit: school with integrated classes and talk with the principal OR
- Visit to partnering organization(s) of the school
Friday: School of the future
- System thinking and leadership
- Future of education
- Self-development of principal: professional growth, self-management, own well-being at work
- Farewell lunch
- Reflection of the program, ideas of implementation and co-operation
This is an example program. Minor changes to content and schedule are possible.
- Lectures and workshops held by Finnish Education experts
- Expert host during your program
- Learning materials
- Book “Top Class, Finnish School Leadership and Management” by Mr. Ari Pokka, President of the International Confederation of Principals
- Guided visits to Finnish schools
- Transportation to visit places and back
- Opportunities to become familiar with each schools modus operandi
- Opportunities to talk with principals, teachers and students
- Participation in the school´s day-to-day activities
- Lunches and coffee
- Certificate of the participation
- Farewell lunch
Training methods: The program includes introductions by the instructors to the various themes mentioned above. The participatory training methods are widely used in the Finnish education system. Particular attention will be paid to reflecting and expanding on the experiences the participants have during their visits to various educational institutions in region. We have got extremely good feedback about this method. Every study tour program is carefully evaluated.
Trainers: Learning Scoop is a Finnish company working in the fields of education and training. The staff comprises experienced and internationally respected trainers, who are experts in the field of Finnish education and school leadership. The trainers have over 25 years of experience in leadership training in Finland and abroad. This experience has developed an academically based, yet truly practical approach to developing leadership skills.
Costs: The price for individual participant is 1550e+VAT 24% / person, total 1922€
5-9 participants in a group the price is 1400e+VAT 24% / person, total 1736€
10-14 participants in a group the price is 1250e+VAT 24% / person, total 1550€
15-19 participants in a group the price is 1150e+VAT 24% / person, total 1426€
20 or more participants in a group the price is 1000e+VAT 24% / person, total 1240€
We are happy to collaborate with Lapland Hotels in Tampere which offers you a chance to experience Lapland in the heart of a city. The centrally located hotel is close to our training premises and 141 rooms have been decorated with skill and style to suit the taste of even the most quality conscious guests. The design of the rooms was influenced by nature and the stories of Lapland. The restaurant serves unique tastes of Nordic nature and Lapland in visually pleasing dishes.
Room in Comfort Class for 1 person 100€/night
Room in Comfort Class for 2 persons 120€/night
Room in Comfort Class for 3 persons 150€/night
DeLuxe Room for 1 person 130€/night
Book your room at Lapland Hotels in Tampere by email firstname.lastname@example.org with code “LEARNINGSCOOP”
Book your Study Tour place and register here.
+358 40 703 7337