Entrepreneurship Education Study Tour
Yearly, there are more and more groups of international visitors that are interested in discovering more about Finland’s education system and the factors influencing its success.
Learning Scoop provides a themed Study Tour focusing on Entrepreneurship Education. Participants have the opportunity to become familiar with the Finnish education system and the factors influencing its success. The program includes several visits to Finnish schools and educational institutions. The program gives visitors an overview of the Finnish education system, highlights the possibilities in Entrepreneurship Education and offers an up-close and personal view of daily life in the Finnish classroom. This themed Study Tour will be organized in close collaboration with YES – entrepreneurship education service for teachers, which provides training in entrepreneurship education and services for developing entrepreneurship in schools and establishing school-business networks
Target groups: Anyone who is interested in the Finnish education system and especially in Entrepreneurship Education (decision makers, administrative representatives, headmasters / principals, teachers, investors, newspapers etc.)
Objectives: To present the Finnish education system, its characteristics and founding principles, as well as to explain the factors behind Finland’s exceptional PISA results. Themed Study Tour will give practical tools and models how to build foundation for Entrepreneurship Education in own community and school.
Where: Tampere, Finland
Daily program on Study Tour at 9am- 3pm
Monday: Introduction to the Finnish Education System
- Finnish Education system and training routes
- Introduction to the principles behind the education system
- Paradoxes of Finnish Education: Less is More, No dead ends etc.
- Teacher’s role and tasks and teacher autonomy
- School visit: Ahlman Educational Institute
Tuesday: Curriculum and Assessment in the Finnish Basic Education
- National core curriculum vs. local curricula
- Curriculum and teaching materials
- Best National Curriculum in the World – Why Curriculum Reform in Finland? 7 areas of competence in New Core Curriculum
- Assessment in the Finnish Basic Education: continuous assessment, but no national tests
- Learning theory and practices in Finland
- Learner centered learning approach
- School visit: Ylöjärvi upper secondary school. In addition to general upper secondary education students have the opportunity to specialize in entrepreneurship and active citizenship in the so-called Y-studies. This module is so far only available in this school and a maximum of 25 students are chosen for it each year.
Wednesday: Building foundation and Promoting Entrepreneurship Education
- Keynote Speaker: Creating platform for entrepreneurship education – how to do it?
YES – entrepreneurship education service for teachers
- Entrepreneurship education as part of competitiveness, regional development programs and strategies of economic life
- Skills needed for working life and personal development
- How to combine education system, curriculum and business life?
- Case Nuori Yrittäjyys – Junior Achievement Finland. To advance entrepreneurial attitude and an active lifestyle among Finnish youths by increasing their knowledge of entrepreneurship, providing entrepreneurial experiences, enhancing readiness for working life and financial management skills. JA aims to fulfill its goals by providing programs supporting entrepreneurship and consumer education for 7- to 25-year-olds through schools, universities, and other educational institutions. The programs are carried out as a part of the schools’ own curricula.
- School visit: ProAkatemia. Proakatemia in Tampere University of Applied Sciences is an academy of new knowledge and expertise where we study and learn in team enterprises. Instead of setting boundaries we dare you to reach for your dreams. Do you have the courage to be the best? In Proakatemia you will become part of a team and our inspiring community of entrepreneurs. The rest is up to you.
Thursday: Learning Environments supporting Entrepreneurship in Basic Education
- Case Pikkuyrittäjät “Little Entrepreneurs”is an entrepreneurship education program for primary schools, grades 4th-6th. During a nine-week period, 10-12 yr old pupils run a company from beginning to end. The pupils come up with a business idea, and develop it further, with the assistance of the teacher, as part of curricula. Each group comes up with their own company name, logo, slogan, elevator pitch, and makes a website for their company. In the end, ideas will be presented at an event where the pupils sell their own products and services to the real customers paying with real money. Pikkuyrittäjät is nominated for the best European and global entrepreneurship education program. The final is held in Oslo 9/2016. Pikkuyrittäjät is also Finland’s representative for Commission’s European Enterprise Awards held in Bratislava 11/2016
- School visit: Me&MyCity (Yrityskylä) Me & MyCity is a Finnish education innovation that has received international awards. It is a learning concept aimed at school children, covering society, working life and entrepreneurship. The Me & MyCity learning environment is a miniature city where students work in a profession and function as consumers and citizens as part of society
Friday: School of the Future
- The future of education in technology-rich environments
- What are the emerging trends?
- How are the paradigms of learning changing, or are they?
- What do future learning environments look like?
- What is the role of teacher?
- What are our students like? How do they learn?
- How do the changes in students’ living worlds and learning environments affect their cognitive processes and learning?
- School visit: Demola Demola is the student innovation project platform with the biggest impact. They bring project partners, universities and multidisciplinary student teams together to solve real-world challenges. Results are concepts, demonstrations and prototypes that show the real value and can be used e.g. as sales support, internal decision-making support or starting point for subcontracting work
- Evaluation and reflection of the program
- Farewell dinner
Site visits include:
- Guided visits to Finnish schools or other visiting places
- Different types of schools: from pre-primary school to the higher education, which have succeeded in implementing Entrepreneurship Education as part of daily life.
- Opportunities to become familiar with each school’s modus operandi and areas scheduled for development
- Participation in the school’s day-to-day activities: class room, meal time, etc.
- Opportunities to talk with teachers and students
- School visits are delivered in collaboration with City of Tampere and YES – entrepreneurship education service for teachers
Training methods: The program includes introductions by the instructors to the various themes mentioned above, and independent and collaborative activities. The training methods are widely used in the Finnish education system. Particular attention will be paid to reflecting and expanding on the experiences the participants have during their visits to various educational institutions in region. Every study visit program is carefully evaluated.
Trainers: Learning Scoop is a Finnish company working in the fields of education and training. The staff comprises experienced teachers and experts, who have received excellent feedback on their work.
The trainers at Learning Scoop have years of teaching experience gained through the Finnish educational community and through teacher training. Learning Scoop trainers have received outstanding feedback for their well-executed and inspiring training sessions and study visits.
Costs: The price for individual participant is 1350e+VAT 24% / person
5-9 participants in a group the price is 1200e+VAT 24% / person
10-14 participants in a group the price is 1050e+VAT 24% / person
15-19 participantsthe in a group the price is 950e+VAT 24% / person
20 or more participants in a group the price is 850e+VAT 24% / person
The program includes lectures, study material, visits and transportation to visit places, school lunches and farewell lunch.
Book a place and register here.
Director of Partnerships
+358 40 508 8521
Are you interested in shorter stay? Please check Study Visits!