Objectives: The programme gives visitors an overview of the Finnish education system, Finnish society and culture, support systems, learning and teaching approaches and how it is implemented in action. High School Study Tour offers an up-close and personal view of daily life in the Finnish classroom in General Upper Secondary School and in other learning environments. The programme includes theoretical lectures with practical orientation, activating workshops and visits to Finnish schools and High Schools to observe Finnish education onsite.
Target groups: Anyone who is interested in the High School / General Upper Secondary School in Finland.
Daily program on Study Tour at 9am- 3pm
November 26th-30th, 2018
On request for groups, contact us!
Where: Tampere, Finland
Monday: Introduction to the Finnish Education System
- Finnish Education system and training routes
- Introduction to the principles behind the education system
- Paradoxes of Finnish Education: Less is More, No dead ends etc.
- Teacher’s role and tasks and teacher autonomy
- Education free of charge
- Organisation of general upper secondary education in Finland
- School visit
Tuesday: Curriculum and Assessment in the Finnish general upper secondary education
- Learning theory and practices in Finnish education
- National core curriculum vs. local curricula
- Subjects in general upper secondary education and the distribution of lesson hours
- Course-based syllabus: compulsory, specialisation and applied courses
- High level of personal choice
- Curriculum and teaching materials
- Assessment in the Finnish general upper secondary education
- Matriculation examination as the only national test in Finland
- School visit
Wednesday: Finnish High School and Vocational School – Real Choices
- Upper secondary education in Finland
- Self-directed learning and individual responsibility
- Quality Vocational Education as a highly valued education choice
- “No dead ends” –principle in upper secondary education
- Dual qualifications in Finnish upper secondary education: combining general and vocational upper secondary education
- Visit to High School and Vocational School
Thursday: High Schools – spice up learning
- Themed High Schools
- Sport, Art, Drama, Music, Languages, STEM, Entrepreneurship Education, IB
- Innovations as a basis for national development
- Link to business and working life
- Team-based learning models
- Inquiry and project based learning, integrating different subjects
- Electronic matriculation examination
- Visit: Entrepreneurship Education High School
Friday: Leading the development work at schools
- School as a learning community
- Pedagogical leadership and learner centered learning approach
- Shared leadership in theory and in practice
- On-going pedagogical development work at schools
- Evaluation and reflection of the program
- Farewell lunch
This is an example program. Minor changes to content and schedule are possible.
Excursions and cultural experiences: There are plenty of excursions and evening activities available. Are you interested in Boat Tour or seeing Finnish Wilderness? How about Sauna Experience or Ice hole swimming? Read more about Finnish Excursions and Experiences here.
Training methods: The program includes introductions by the instructors to the various themes mentioned above, and independent and collaborative activities. The training methods are widely used in the Finnish education system. Particular attention will be paid to reflecting and expanding on the experiences the participants have during their visits to various educational institutions in region. Every visit is carefully evaluated.
Trainers: Learning Scoop is a Finnish company working in the fields of education and training. The staff comprises experienced teachers and experts, who have received excellent feedback on their work.
The trainers at Learning Scoop have years of teaching experience gained through the Finnish educational community and through teacher training. Learning Scoop trainers have received outstanding feedback for their well-executed and inspiring training sessions and study visits.
Costs: The price for individual participant is 1350e+VAT 24% / person
10-14 participants in a group the price is 1050e+VAT 24% / person
15-19 participants in a group the price is 950e+VAT 24% / person
20 or more participants in a group the price is 850e+VAT 24% / person
The program includes lectures and workshops, study material, visits and transportation to visit places, expert host, certificate of participation, lunches, coffee and farewell lunch. Watch a video what happens during education study tours in Finland!
We are happy to collaborate with Lapland Hotels in Tampere which offers you a chance to experience Lapland in the heart of a city. The centrally located hotel is close to our training premises and 141 rooms have been decorated with skill and style to suit the taste of even the most quality conscious guests. The design of the rooms was influenced by nature and the stories of Lapland. The restaurant serves unique tastes of Nordic nature and Lapland in visually pleasing dishes.
Room in Comfort Class for 1 person 100€/night
Room in Comfort Class for 2 persons 120€/night
Room in Comfort Class for 3 persons 150€/night
DeLuxe Room for 1 person 130€/night
Book your room at Lapland Hotels in Tampere by email firstname.lastname@example.org with code “LEARNINGSCOOP”
Book your High School Study Tour place and register here.
+358 40 703 7337
Are you interested in shorter stay? Please check Study Visits!