Early Childhood Education Study Tour
In Finland the world-class education path begins with world-class early childhood education. Early childhood has very different goals in Finland compared to many other countries: in Finland early childhood education supports children’s balanced growth, development and learning, not just academic objectives. The Finnish early childhood education is research-based and is organized according to children’s natural growth and development. Learning through play is essential. It all begins in the early childhood.
Finnish quality early childhood education lays basis for excellent learning outcomes in Finnish basic education. Early childhood education and care, pre-primary and basic education form an integrated whole progressing consistently following the child’s development.
In Finland early childhood education is provided for children between 0-5 years. Pre-primary education is compulsory for children of the age of six. Basic education starts in the year when a child turns seven.
Objectives: The program gives visitors an overview of the Finnish education system and early childhood education as an integral part of it. Themed Study Tour introduces the founding principles in Finnish Early Childhood Education and how it is implemented in action. The program also offers an up-close and personal view of daily life in the Finnish day care centers.
Review: Early Childhood Education Study Tour by Learning Scoop in Brainfeed Magazine
Next pre-scheduled tour dates:
March 23rd – 27th 2020
May 11th – 15th 2020
September 14th – 18th 2020
November 16th – 20th 2020
February 8th-12th 2021
March 22nd-26th 2021
May 10th-14th 2021
September 13th-17th 2021
November 15th-19th 2021
On request for groups, contact us!
Feedback: Read more here
Daily program on Study Tour at 9am – 3pm
Monday: Introduction to the Finnish Education System
- Finnish Education system
- Introduction to the principles behind the education system
- Paradoxes of Finnish Education: Less is More, No dead ends etc.
- Early childhood education as part of the whole education system
- Visit to pre-primary and primary school
Tuesday: Early childhood education and care (ECEC) in Finland
- Educare model: integrated approach to care, education and teaching
- Care, education and teaching to support children’s balanced growth, development and learning
- Different forms of daycare and early childhood education in Finland
- The funding and fees for daycare
- Legislation and norms guiding ECEC operations in Finland
- National Core Curriculum for ECEC in Finland: value-based and descriptive
- Areas of learning and transversal competencies in National Core Curriculum for ECEC
- Pre-primary education as a link between early childhood education
- Visit to day care center
Wednesday: ECEC promoting learning
- Learning through play
- Intrinsic motivation as a basis of learning
- Child-centered pedagogy: inquiry-based learning, hands-on learning, small group activities, versatile learning environments
- Children as actors influencing ECEC: involvement and participation
- Visit to day care center or children’s culture center
- Green Trail Nature experience or Dinner at Näsinneula Observation Tower
Thursday: Individual support in early childhood education
- Early childhood education based on child’s individual needs
- Integration and inclusion in ECEC
- Categories and forms of support
- Observation and documentation
- Child’s individual ECEC plan
- Visit to day care center
Friday: Co-operation in ECEC
- Multi-professional co-operation to support the child’s growth and development
- Team work and collaboration
- Co-operation with parents in ECEC
- Co-operation with school in ECEC: transition between ECE and
- Visit to forest day care center or themed day care center
- Evaluation and reflection of the program
- Farewell lunch
This is an example program. Minor changes to content and schedule are possible.
- Guided visits to Finnish day care centers and pre-primary education
- Different types of early childhood education facilities
- Observation and participation in the day care center’s day-to-day activities, meal time, outdoor activities etc.
- Opportunities to talk with teachers and children
Training methods: The program includes introductions by the instructors to the various themes mentioned above. Attention will be paid to reflecting and expanding on the experiences the participants have during their visits to various educational institutions in region. Every study visit program is carefully evaluated.
Trainers: Learning Scoop is a Finnish company working in the fields of education and training. The staff comprises experienced teachers and early childhood education experts, who have received excellent feedback on their work.
The trainers at Learning Scoop have years of teaching experience gained through the Finnish educational community and through teacher training. Learning Scoop trainers have received outstanding feedback for their well-executed and inspiring training sessions and study visits.
Costs: The price for individual participant is 1450e+ possible VAT 24% / person
10-14 participants in a group the price is 1150e+ possible VAT 24% / person
15-19 participants in a group the price is 1050e+ possible VAT 24% / person
20 or more participants in a group the price is 950e+ possible VAT 24% / person
The program includes lectures and workshops, study material, visits and transportation to visit places, expert hosts, coffee, lunches, Green Trail Nature experience or Dinner at Näsinneula Observation Tower, Book: “The Success stories of Finnish Early Childhood Education”, Premium version of LessonApp for free for a year, farewell lunch and certificate of participation.
We are happy to collaborate with Lapland Hotels in Tampere which offers you a chance to experience Lapland in the heart of a city. The centrally located hotel is close to our training premises and 141 rooms have been decorated with skill and style to suit the taste of even the most quality conscious guests. The design of the rooms was influenced by nature and the stories of Lapland. The restaurant serves unique tastes of Nordic nature and Lapland in visually pleasing dishes.
Room in Comfort Class for 1 person 103€/night
Room in Comfort Class for 2 persons 123€/night
Room in Comfort Class for 3 persons 153€/night
Prices include buffet breakfast, taxes and wireless internet connection.
Book your room at Lapland Hotels in Tampere by email email@example.com with code “LEARNINGSCOOP”
Book your Study Tour place and register here.
Are you interested in shorter stay? Please check Study Visits!