Basic Education (K-9) Study Tour
Basic education (K-9) laid the foundation for Finland’s reputation as education superpower. It is the regular Finnish comprehensive school with grades 1-9 that are the core of the miracle of Finnish education. Finnish basic education is exceptional in worldwide perspective: it is public and free for all students, it has a wide variety of academic as well as practical and artistic subjects, and it is based on stress-free “less is more” approach. Yet it succeeds to bring outstanding learning results in international learning comparisons.
Target groups: teachers, principals, school owners, anyone interested in Finnish K-9 basic education and Finland’s excellent learning results.
Objectives: The program gives visitors an overall view on Finnish basic (K-9) education, it’s core principles and factors influencing Finland’s success in international learning comparisons. The program also offers participants first-hand experiences about everyday life in Finnish schools and classrooms and a chance to witness educational innovations in Finnish basic education.
Where: Tampere, Finland.
Daily program on Study Tour at 9am – 3pm
Program language: delivered in English
Monday: Introduction to the Finnish Education System
- Finnish Education system and training routes
- Introduction to the principles behind the education system
- Paradoxes of Finnish Education: Less is More, No dead ends etc.
- School visit
Tuesday: Curriculum and Assessment in the Finnish Basic Education
- Learning theory and practices in Finland
- Learner centered approach
- National core curriculum
- Assessment in the Finnish Basic Education: continuous assessment, but no national tests
- School visit
Wednesday: Educational support: Inclusive education, guidance, counselling and student welfare services
- What does integration and inclusion mean in Finnish schools and how it is implemented?
- Categories of support: general, intensified and special support
- Student welfare services
- School visit
- Green Trail Nature experience or Dinner at Näsinneula Observation Tower
Thursday: Co-operation in Basic Education
- Collaboration between teachers and multi-professional co-operation
- Co-operation with parents
- Co-operation with other institutes and organizations supporting schools and learning
- School visit
Friday: Leadership and Management in Finnish Schools
- The role and tasks of a principal in Finnish schools
- Shared leadership as a basis for Finnish education
- School or day care center visit
- Evaluation and reflection of the program
- Farewell lunch
This is an example program. Minor changes to content and schedule are possible
School visits include:
- Guided visits to Finnish schools
- Different types of K-9 schools: from pre-primary school to the lower secondary school
- Participation in the school’s day-to-day activities: classroom, meal time, recesses etc.
- Opportunities to talk with teachers and students
Training methods: The program includes introductions by the instructors to the various themes mentioned above. Attention will be paid to reflecting and expanding on the experiences the participants have during their visits. Every study visit program is carefully evaluated.
Trainers: Learning Scoop is a Finnish company working in the fields of education and training. The staff comprises experienced teachers and experts, who have received excellent feedback on their work.
The trainers at Learning Scoop have years of teaching experience gained through the Finnish educational community and through teacher training. Learning Scoop trainers have received outstanding feedback for their well-executed and inspiring training sessions and study visits.
Costs: The price for individual participant is 1450e+ possible VAT 24% / person
10-14 participants in a group the price is 1150e+ possible VAT 24% / person
15-19 participants in a group the price is 1050e+ possible VAT 24% / person
20 or more participants in a group the price is 950e+ possible VAT 24% / person
The program includes lectures, study material, visits and transportation to visit places, Green Trail Nature experience or Dinner at Näsinneula Observation Tower, certificate of participation, Premium version of LessonApp for free for a year, Book Finnish Education in Practice: What, Why and How, lunches and farewell lunch. Watch a video what happens during education study tours in Finland!
Next pre-scheduled study tours in Tampere, Finland:
Are you visiting Finland with your children? See Adventure Camp in August 2020!
We are happy to collaborate with Lapland Hotels in Tampere which offers you a chance to experience Lapland in the heart of a city. The centrally located hotel is close to our training premises and 141 rooms have been decorated with skill and style to suit the taste of even the most quality conscious guests. The design of the rooms was influenced by nature and the stories of Lapland. The restaurant serves unique tastes of Nordic nature and Lapland in visually pleasing dishes.
Room in Comfort Class for 1 person 103€/night
Room in Comfort Class for 2 persons 123€/night
Room in Comfort Class for 3 persons 153€/night
Book your room at Lapland Hotels in Tampere by email firstname.lastname@example.org with code “LEARNINGSCOOP”
Book your Study Tour place and register here.
Are you interested in shorter stay? Please check Study Visits!
Excursions and cultural experiences: There are plenty of excursions and evening activities available. Are you interested in Boat Tour or seeing Finnish Wilderness? How about Sauna Experience or Ice hole swimming? Read more about Finnish Excursions and Experiences here.
We are happy to tell more. Download Digital Travel Guide to get local tips!
Get to know our fabulous city of Tampere on video.